Blue Ridge Gap to Standing Indian Shelter

APRIL 13, 2012
Blue Ridge Gap to Standing Indian Shelter - Moderate
11.4 miles in 7.5 hours

   

The rough road leading up to Blue Ridge Gap.

To begin the North Carolina section of the AT, we shuttled to the drop-off point at Blue Ridge Gap and began to climb the rough, slag road up to the AT.Too bad that road is not maintained, it could be a good access point close to the GA/NC line.








The beginning of the AT at Blue Ridge Gap.
 
It was a tough ascent but we got to the AT and began our journey at 9:00 a.m.























Here the trail enters the Nantahala National Forest.
















At 10:40 we reached the tree where the GA/NC line sign is posted and took the same pictures we had taken in September when we were here at this point on our first section hike.Read all about that one on the Georgia Section blog. GEORGIA SECTION BLOG



















Elevation 3840'
Past the sign tree we were beginning unchartered territory for us. We reached Bly Gap just past the line and saw the other famous tree with an interesting shape in the middle of the trail. In spite of the training we had done, it was a rough morning for me. On each incline I was gasping for breath and at each level spot I wanted to shout “Thank ya, Je-sus!” like Flo frequently does in the Yada Yada Prayer Group books (by Neta Jackson). However, at the end of the day I did not have sore muscles like last time, so the training must have done some good.
The famous tree in the middle of the trail at Bly Gap.

Elevation 4300'














Muskrat Creek Shelter for a lunch break.





















We made one change in our equipment this time and are now glad that we did.  Instead of treating our water with iodine tablets, we have purchased a Katadyn water filter.  It helps with the weight of our pack in that we do not have to fill our camelback water bladder completely full to give the iodine time to take effect but can filter the water straight into our drinking bottles and only put enough in our camelback to get us to the next watering hole.  With the frequency of water that we are seeing on the trail, this is working out well for us. 
Katadyn Water Filter


Elevation
4620'
Between Muskrat Creek Shelter and Chunky Gal Trail, there was a welcome stretch of level ground for about a mile followed by a rocky stretch coming down from Chunky Gal Trail into Deep Gap.  Standing Indian Mountain in front of us is the highest point along the Appalachian Trail south of the Smokey Mountains.  Climbing it for us was reminiscent of climbing Blood Mountain in Georgia; although it is tall at 5498’ elevation, the switchbacks make it not so bad to climb.  That is, until I stepped on a rock with my right foot and then stubbed my left toe.  I felt my right ankle twist as I went down to the ground on my left knee.  I was imagining all sorts of things as I found myself on the ground and was very relieved to find that I was not hurt.  Thank goodness for good hiking boots.  My ankles have been saved from twisting many times on the trail.  One skinned knee is all I got.

Elevation 4700'













Elevation 4341'

We remembered our conversation with one gentleman in September when we were deciding whether or not to hike past the GA line and go on up to Deep Gap to be picked up. He indicated to us that it was fairly flat up to Standing Indian Shelter and we would have no trouble doing 11 miles on our last day. We were so tired at the time, we decided not to go that far, and now we realize that it would have been a tough last day for us. That just goes to show that everyone has a different perspective out here on the trail. Some say it’s easy, some say the same area is hard. I guess it all depend on who you talk to.


At 5:30 p.m. we reached Standing Indian Shelter.  It has a privy but no bear cable.  Wait-up went downhill to get water for supper and I began to look for a place to pitch the tent.  As I was pitching the tent on the most level spot available behind the shelter, a fellow came around and started hanging his food bag in a tree close by.  I didn’t want to be that close to the bear tree, so I moved the tent to a less desirable place on down the hill.  The next morning we noticed that some person had come in later in the evening and pitched his one-person tent exactly under the bear tree!  Umm..  I’m glad it was an uneventful night.




We found a good stream of water right before Muskrat Creek Shelter and also a good supply of water at the shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment