466.6 DONE!

Damascus, Virginia is the 466.6 mile marker from Springer Mountain, Georgia.  Hard to beleive we have hiked that far since September 2011.  But then again, lots of folks have done more than that quicker than that, so I guess we shouldn't brag.  However, I do feel proud of us.  It is quite an accomplishment to hike any length of time on the Appalachian Trail, 'cause this ain't for sissies, y'all. 

There have been times recently while out on the trail that I have thought to myself, "Why am I doing this?"  There have been times when I wanted to quit right then and go home.  Sometimes I think, "This is too much roughing it for me."  The advantage of section-hiking is that you CAN quit and go home just any ole time you get ready.  So we go home when we want to.

But before we get home we are already planning our next trip to the AT.  Somehow, it just gets in your blood.  I miss it when I am not out there.  Even now after being off the trail for two weeks, I still wake up at night and think I am on the trail somewhere.  Then I realize, "No, this bed is too soft, I'm sleeping too good." 

After awhile I forget the bad times, the sore muscles, the steep climbs, the monotony of the trail food, the scary nights, the fatique, the hurting feet, and remember the beauty, the serenity, the comaradarie, and the challenge, and I'm ready to go again.

So we will go again, we will go back to Damascus and head north again soon.  But until then, we have our memories and hope you will share them with us.

Click on the name of the section here to go straight to it, or on the tab at the top of the page:
Georgia - 80 miles - September, 2011
North Carolina - 90 miles - April, 2012
I40 north of Smokies to Sam's Gap south of Erwin, TN - 77 miles - March, 2013
Smoky Mountain National Park and north to Damascus - 225 miles - May, 2013

You can use the menu at the right side of the blog to see each day's entry.  Hope you enjoy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment