Cornelius Creek Shelter To Bobblet's Gap Shelter, Southbound

Cornelius Creek Shelter to Bobblets Gap Shelter, Southbound
Day Eighteen – Thursday, April 10, 201418.4 miles
9:45 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

We drove our car to Bobblets Gap and parked, then Karen took us to an access little pig trail to Cornelius Creek Shelter.    It's nice to know a local because she knew right where to let us out in order to pick up the trail here, although there is no road indicated in the Thru-Hiker's Companion.  She walked with us down to the shelter to help us find the trail. She had never been to the trail here before, so we had to look for awhile before we found it.  While looking for the trail, we went up a little forest road behind the shelter and I put my backpack down on the ground.  I had my camera hooked to the outside of the backpack and, evidently, when I picked up the backpack the cameral came loose and I either left it there, or it came off later on the trail. 

After we finally found the trail (which goes down in front of the shelter to the right and curves back around to the left in case you ever need to know), we went up the first incline and stopped at the top for a drink of water.  That's when I noticed that my camera was no longer attached to my backpack.  Oh no! 

Wait-up went back down the trail to look for the camera and, after about 30 minutes, came back without it.  As bad as I hated to, I had to go on without it. 

We met Pop Pop on the trail today. He was headed north.  He was not planning to thru-hike, but was on the trail for an undetermined amount of time until he got ready to go home.  I asked him to look for my camera if he made it to Cornelius Creek Shelter. 
 

           
Bryant Ridge Shelter

Bryant Ridge Shelter

Jennings Creek

 
After reaching Bobblet's Gap Shelter and our car, we drove back up to Cornelius Creek Shelter to search for our camera.  As I was making my way up the mountain looking diligently on both sides of the trail, I looked up to see Pop Pop coming to meet me.  We walked back to the shelter together while I explained that we were going to be spending the night at Comfort Inn in Troutville tonight and hiking out from Cornelius Creek Shelter going north tomorrow morning.  He jumped right on the idea of spending the evening in town for dinner and a hotel, so he decided to ride into town with us.  We did not find the camera. 
 
We enjoyed Pop Pop's company and dinner at Cracker Barrel before going to Comfort Inn where Pop Pop checked in and we went our separate ways to rest.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment