Goddard Shelter to Black Brook Stealth Camp

Day 16
Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Goddard Shelter to Black Brook Stealth Camp
11.6 mile

We woke up at Goddard Shelter with snow still on the ground and the wind still blowing.  In spite of the wind blowing on them all night, our clothes  were not dry this morning. So after breakfast we dressed in our wet pants and socks and sopping boots and took off at 7:30.   Again, there was plenty of water to walk through and lots of mud.

In about 10 minutes, we were at the observation tower on top of Glastenbury Mountain. We walked up the stairs and took in the 360 view of Vermont. Beautiful forest close by with mountains in all directions in the distance.  It was about the only view we would have today.

The terrain was not bad today, no major mountains to climb and pretty level. However, I was not having a high energy day so that made it hard to go the near 12 mile distance. Maybe it was the Mountain House scrambled egg meal we had for breakfast instead of our usual oatmeal, or maybe it was the long hard day we had yesterday and not getting to the shelter until 6:00. Whatever it was, I was struggling.

Two long-legged, fast-walking thru hikers named Highlighter and Foosball passed us near the end of the day.

We stopped at 4:30 at a campsite beside the Black Brook. We will tackle Stratton Mountain tomorrow.

After changing my clothes to put on my sleeping fleece thermals and clean underwear, I decided to go to the edge of the creek to wet my bandana for a little wash-off.   I stood on two rocks protruding barely out of the creek and bent over to the water.  Before I knew it, I had lost my balance and went sprawling into the creek!  Oh my gosh, that was cold water!  I jumped up fast and started looking for my little Gatorade bottle which I had in my hand.  It was nowhere to be found, supposedly already downstream--the second p-style I have lost on this trip. 

Wait-up was already in the tent and in his sleeping bag.  He heard the splash and heard me say, “Well,  I just fell in  the creek!” But he didn’t get up to see about me.  I squished back to the tent and had to change back into my dirty underwear and my extra hiking clothes for the night.  I hung my wet clothes on a tree overnight but, of  course they were not dry the next day. 

My goodness, we are having some new adventures on  this trip.


















 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment